Wednesday, June 29, 2011

things I'll miss from Holland when I am gone 5_ my moederfiets

so this is my beloved "harley". After a lifetime of not riding a bike I came to Holland and wondered if I would be able to join in the national sport of ridin' everywhere. First I got a normal bike and was shocked to confirm that I could still ride. Then I got the moederfiets or mommy bike, with a lower center of gravity, stronger structure and extended front to fit bundle No. 2 .

I love this bike. I've used this bike as practically my sole mode of transportation for the last 3 years. seriously, I didn't even have a driving license when I first arrived (long story), so you could find me going down the beautiful cobbled streets of the old center carrying my family size toilet paper packet on the front or back seat. Great additional carry space. Added plus: the kids are tied in and cannot get distracted, or head in different directions.

Unfortunately my harley was stolen, rather symbolically, soon after we confirmed our move. If we were staying I would get a cabby bakfiets, but under the circumstances, I don't think that Brooklyn is yet ready for it, and so I've been struggling to decide what to bring with me. I don't know how it will work out, but I just can't imagine moving around without a bike anymore.

No comments: