Monday, June 27, 2011

Things I'll miss from Holland when I'm gone 4_ the view from my house


Our house is in an old cobbled street right in the heart of The Hague's old town. There is an antiques shop down the street with a photograph that must be over 100 years old. And there in the photo is my house, the canal, the whole street just as it looks today, (minus the cars).

The view from the house is one of the reasons we moved into it. We see the seasons change on the trees and the canal outside our window, from summer with overgrown green, through fall when the leaves float away on the water and into winter, when the snow and ice often covers the view.

We also have regular guests in the canal, an odd family of ducks or swans, the Sunday afternoon lazy boat riders sipping wine, or the summer tour guides that will wave back to the kids.

This one I am pretty sure that I am never going to be able to beat.

No comments: